RE: Sarbanes Oxley reporting

  • From: "Polarski, Bernard" <Bernard.Polarski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>,"Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:42:49 +0100

I was requested to implement the whole sox stuff last year, then the
work was externally audited and passed an ISO certification.

Don't ask me what is an ISO certification on a Sox box but in October I
was notified that the work was certified. It surely changed my life, I
just have to find what.

The solution adopted was to create no object at all on DB but to keep
information on the server under the form of ASCII files under root
ownership. Root launch the sox script from his cron with sudo su -
oracle. This way the DBA don't have access to the result and can't
modify the scripts or the results. There is a set of 22 sox scripts each
one run one to four sql that address one sox points and output result
goes into an expected state directory.

First time you run this, you validate the results and this is your set
of reference files.  Subsequent runs are compared to the reference files
(awk, diff, cmp) and only mutations are reported. If a mutation is
'normal' then you assert it and the new situation becomes you reference
file. If the mutation is not normal, then you just singled out a
'violation'.

Sox policy is all about human being asserting mutations into a DB. It
gives useless job to people who take it very seriously.

Sleeping in progress, please wait......

(sleeping at work or doing nothing is not a Sox violation)

Bernard Polarski

Oracle DBA

  _____