Re: Same old story, windows vs Linux

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ted Coyle <Ted.Coyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:24:18 -0700 (PDT)

I think both speed and concurrency could be very different between x86 and
other platform architectures.

As for downsides to using different platforms for non-production and
production, here's a start (I'm sure there are countless others, but I think
these are the major ones, in no particular order):
Platform-specific issues or bugsPerformance (obviously)Spreading yourself "too
thin"--by this, I mean that if you can't focus on a single platform, you'll end
up knowing a little about many things instead of becoming an expert at
one.Actually, the list isn't as long as I thought, but #3 is a pretty big one
in my opinion. I'm sure there are others, but these are the most critical
considerations I can think of on a Monday morning.

Dan

From: Ted Coyle < oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx >

To: dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ;

niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx; adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx