RE: SYS_refcursor in pl/sql block

  • From: "Igor Neyman" <ineyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Harvinder.Singh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:12:08 -0400

This should work:

VARIABLE rs REFCURSOR;
Begin
open :rs for
        select a from table inner join b.....;
End;
/

print rs;

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Harvinder Singh
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 1:37 PM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: SYS_refcursor in pl/sql block

Hi,

We are using SYS_REFCURSOR in our procedures as out put parameter to
return the result of a query, is there any equivalent I can use in
pl/sql block without a procedure. Here is what we are trying to do:
Begin
Insert into table....;
Select a from table inner join b.....;
End;

Since Oracle don't allow select without into clause in pl/sql, I added a
variable of syscursor but now I am not getting error but not getting the
result set also:
Declare
A sys_refcursor;
Begin
Insert into table....;
Open a for Select a from table inner join b.....; End;

Is there any option that we can use without converting this to
procedure?

Thanks
--Harvinder