Re: SQLNet.ora per Listener?

  • From: japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:12:20 -0500

Sounds like a good plan, but it doesn't work for any of my Oracle
environments - 9i on HP-UX, 9i and 10g on Linux.  It's easy to test.  Just
set TNS_ADMIN to a non-existent directory and try to start a non-existent
Listener.  The output below for me on HP-UX is exactly what I get on Linux
for both 9i and 10g.  Looks to me like lsnrctl totally ignores the
TNS_ADMIN variable.

Am I missing something?

oracle>>TNS_ADMIN=$ORACLE_HOME/network/lsnr2222 lsnrctl start lsnr2222

LSNRCTL for HPUX: Version 9.2.0.8.0 - Production on 21-APR-2009 10:02:08

Copyright (c) 1991, 2006, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Starting /oracle/product/9.2.0/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for HPUX: Version 9.2.0.8.0 - Production
System parameter file is /oracle/product/9.2.0/network/admin/listener.ora
Log messages written to /oracle/product/9.2.0/network/log/lsnr2222.log
TNS-01151: Missing listener name, lsnr2222, in LISTENER.ORA

Listener failed to start. See the error message(s) above...

oracle>>export TNS_ADMIN=$ORACLE_HOME/network/lsnr2222
oracle>>lsnrctl start lsnr2222

LSNRCTL for HPUX: Version 9.2.0.8.0 - Production on 21-APR-2009 10:02:59

Copyright (c) 1991, 2006, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Starting /oracle/product/9.2.0/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for HPUX: Version 9.2.0.8.0 - Production
System parameter file is /oracle/product/9.2.0/network/admin/listener.ora
Log messages written to /oracle/product/9.2.0/network/log/lsnr2222.log
TNS-01151: Missing listener name, lsnr2222, in LISTENER.ORA

Listener failed to start. See the error message(s) above...

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

Nigel Thomas <nigel.cl.thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/20/2009 05:26 PM
Please respond to
nigel.cl.thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: SQLNet.ora per Listener?

Jack

The sqlnet.ora is found in $TNS_ADMIN (if that is set) so why not set it
before starting one of the listeners (and change it or leave it default
for the other)

eg

TNS_ADMIN=/my/nonstandard/net/admin lsnrctl start ...

NB:
env=value command parameters
causes the env to be set to value and included in the environment of the
command

In the non-default directory pointed to by $TNS_ADMIN you can make
tnsnames.ora (if needed) a symbolic link to the "real" tnsnames.ora.

Cheers Nigel

2009/4/20 <japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

9i on HP-UX and 10g on Linux.

Basic question: Can you somehow tie a particular sqlnet.ora file to a
specific listener for a database that has two Listeners?  I've looked in
the docs and everywhere else I can think of and I can't find that you can
somehow specify that a sqlnet.ora file applies to only a specific
Listener, it applies to all Listeners in that ORACLE_HOME.  The only way
that my little brain has come up with is to create another ORACLE_HOME and
have a Listener there with its own sqlnet.ora.

What we have is a Student Information database that is accessed
District-wide via our internal WAN / LAN.  It has a Listener on port 1521.
 We've had this setup for years.  We also allow selected access to that
database from the Internet.  We opened up another port (not 1521 or any of
the "usual" ones) in the firewall and we have a second Listener on that
port.  The sqlnet on the Client App server in the DMZ requires encryption,
etc. via the parameters specific to those security settings.  We'd like to
require the matching encryption, etc. for any traffic coming to the
non-standard Listener, but the single sqlnet.ora file on the server would
apply to our internal Listener as well, killing our internal Users.  For
now, we only have the security settings Accepted, not Required, on the
server.

Am I an idiot?  I've done the standard setup of Listeners lots and lots
over the years but am not well-versed in unusual setups or Advanced
Security.  Is there a relatively simple way to do what we want or is the
separate ORACLE_HOME the ticket?  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.