Re: SQL*Net waits in a 10046 trace

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 11:56:49 +0100

A late entry to this post, but following up Stefan's comment
about memory and buffering, here's a highlight from SQL*Plus
"Text_content" is a  CLOB of about 120,000 bytes. I've
deleted some of the lines from the output

SQL> set autotrace traceonly statistics
SQL> set timing on
SQL> set longchunksize 131072
SQL> select text_content from test_lobs where id = 1;

Elapsed: 00:00:00.00

Statistics
        25  consistent gets
        16  physical reads
    120945  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
       792  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
         5  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
         1  rows processed

SQL> set longchunksize 8192
SQL> select text_content from test_lobs where id = 1;

Statistics
        71  consistent gets
        29  physical reads
    123400  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
      2625  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
        18  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
         1  rows processed

SQL> set longchunksize 80
SQL> select text_content from test_lobs where id = 1;

Statistics
      5181  consistent gets
      1508  physical reads
    402477  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
    211164  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
      1497  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
         1  rows processed

The number of roundtrips is affected by the buffer size
set of the lob (which is controlled by the longchunksize
parameter in SQL*Plus).  The impact on buffer gets is
also highly visible. The effect on the physical reds is dependent on whether the LOB is declared cache or
nocache.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com

Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

The query that I am working on retrieves 67 rows each of which has one
blob column.  It takes a total of 11 seconds.

- Peter Schauss