RE: SQL*Net message waits

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:31:55 -0500

Robyn,

Ok, of a 30 minute window, 0.05 seconds total was attributed to SQL*Net message
waits.  How many total SQL*Net waits were in the trace?
I'm a little concerned because with the scoping error you admit is present in
your tracing, it's going to obfuscate the solution a bit.
I'm also a little concerned that "the users can't tell me exactly which actions
they believe are slow....".  That statement tells me
your system has no real measurable SLA.  Without that, how will you know when
you've succeeded?  Ok, ok, I know, it wasn't your idea
but you're stuck with it.  Which business process is the most business critical
and performing the worst.  Start there.  Try to get
an accurately scoped trace of that process.  This will reveal much in
determining where the problem is.

Now, going back to the trace you already got:
What does the profile of the other 29 minutes 59.95 seconds look like?  How
many database calls are in the trace file?
Database calls are PARSE, EXEC and FETCH.  Also, how much CPU time is
represented in that 30 minutes?  How much wait time?
What events were you waiting on?

Also, consider what's going on the in the O/S.  Are the CPUs hammered?  Are
there lots of processes waiting on I/O?

Hope that helps,

-Mark