SQL*Loader-908: Unable to lock table due to ORACLE error 54

  • From: "John Dunn" <jdunn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:13:45 +0100

We have a situation where batches of data are being loaded into a table
using sqlldr all day long. sqlldr uses direct load for speed. At the same
time we have a routine that deletes old records from the table. I believe
that sqlldr needs to take an exclusive table lock...is that correct? Which
would explain why I sometimes get Oracle 54 errors from sqlldr when the
delete process is running? Is my analysis of this error correct? Any ideas
on resolution? I presume conventional load does not take an exclusive table
lock?
Oracle version is 9.2