Re: SQLLDR or UTL_FILE package? Which is faster?

  • From: "Ram Srinivasan" <srinivasanram2004@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:02:48 -0400

All:
 Thank you very much.
 I also checked with AskTom site, and SQLLDR is definitely faster and
superior for loading external data in 8.1.7 env.  However after 9i, we can
use external tables.

 Thanks to every one for their input.  This DBA group is wonderful.

Ram SRinivasan

On 6/15/07, Amol Umbarkar <amolumbarkar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ram,

Although external tables are not available on your environment (8.1.7 as
per your first post), you can simulate it.  But i would still go for SQL*LDR
for the following reasons:

- Better performance. Options like Direct path insert with parallel
tradeoffs you might want to look into.
- Less coding means less defects.You can spend more time to think about
- There are several command line options. So you can easily switch between
them. A PLSQL loading routine requires code change for everything.

Thanks,
AMol

--
Sincerely