Re: SQL programming fundamentals

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: peter.robson@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 22:46:25 +0800

Some understanding that tables can be viewed as sets and SQL operations work on "sets" of data instead of the "row-by-row" approach of procedural methods is quite desirable. I've seen people floundering when they can't differentiate between the two.

Then again, there are DBAs who really wouldn't care much about how SQL operates but use SQLPlus or OEM only to "issue commands". Oracle's SQLPlus has many other commands that has nothing to do with Sets/Relations/Tuples/Whateveryoucallit. At least in the old days, the DBA used to use "Server Manager" so t hat it was clear that "Server Manager commands" were different from "SQL statements".

Relational 'calculus' {whatever it is} isn't necessary knowledge, in my opinion.

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

At 05:37 PM Friday, Peter Robson wrote:
Hello Oracle-L,

I have been 'lurking' on this list for manyyears. Time was when I contributed regularly, but now I'm content to read. Until now...

I have been reviewing the latest volume by Chris Date due for imminent publication by O'Reilly, and I want to test within the wider SQL community some of the assertions that Chris makes. My own position is studiously neutral for the purposes of this exchange.

How important do you believe it to be that any person who uses SQL in the context of their profession, should understand the relational theory and its logical underpinnings? Should such practitioners understand relational calculus (specifically the 'tuple relational calculus')?

Peter Robson
Edinburgh

Hemant K Chitale