Re: SQL programming fundamentals

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:23:38 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Peter,

My kneejerk reaction is that the relational theory knowledge is akin to
needing to understand the internal combustion engine in order to drive to
the store.  Does it help?  Sure (electric cars notwithstanding), especially
if the car breaks down or to maximize the life of the vehicle.  But society
and economic forces have filled that need with tow companies and mechanics,
freeing most of us up to concentrate on other (more important?) facets of
life.

It'd be impossible for me to propose that notion here where we use a
vendor-supplied ERP system that is barely 1NF.  I've used ERPs that aren't
even that.

Hmmmmm...I think I *am* in favor of that requirement if the SQL professional
is designing software (especially ERP systems!) as a product to be sold.
What a wonderful world it would be...   :)

Interesting topic -- there's more here for me to drone on about (e.g. having
devs sit through a theoretical math class w/o falling asleep), but I've got
databases to make.

My $.02,
Rich