Re: SQL Server vs. Oracle

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:03:15 +1000

Niall Litchfield allegedly said,on my timestamp of 3/06/2004 7:50 PM:

There are 2 basic problems that I see prevalent in the MSSQL community though

Only 2? :)

sorts of other tangential metrics. It is also partly a problem of the
underlying product - so you find that you spend all your time waiting
for a hot page. How are you going to fix this within sqlservers
limitations?

I'm shocked and surprised you haven't got the solution yet:

"Just add memory!". (M$tm)

doesn't refresh reliably. Then you move from click here, set this
checkmark here, run this wizard to code like this
>big snip

clear as mud really.

Yup, unfortunately.  It's either "glance" mode or "access to the
most intimate parts" mode.  Nothing in between.  It will happen,
but it's gonna take a while.

oh and 3 which has only just occurred to me but happens with Oracle
systems as well - the question John paraphrases is exactly the sort of
question that gets asked - how can I fix my "system" not "this order
process has problems".

There is a market for a very significant portion of the Oracle
"book-writing" brigade, if I ever saw one!  After all, they
only got 15 years or so of practice of inflicting that
on everyone in sight...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto