RE: SQL *Net more data from client - waiting too long

I agree with you Niall,   having said that I see what Andrew is saying.   This
is the second company I have worked for where I am the only DBA.  Besides
straightening up what I see; to conform to at least my standards, interruptions
to the day abound, from the most recent time zone change, to well... if it
pertains to databases, then I am defacto involved.  So one can find themselves
in a position where if you were to start spending time with the app issues, you
may spend to much time leaving yourself at risk because some important DBA
things did not get set up in time.    If you get to many DBA's (like six or
so), then some will tend to specialize.

However Consider coming full circle to what you are saying Niall.  When the
database is slow, (read app), who is going to be on the job then?  Yes you, and
at inconvenient times, so just get it over with.   Now if Andrew can teach or
offload a lot of that tuning, the better... Hmmm, I wonder if I had a
opportunity in politics?

My £0.02  (that's like two cents, but just a little more valuable)  :-)

P.S.  In my case I might add, I also have SQL*Server, which I try and ignore
:-)   -- No, I really do try.

--  As I recently read:

Oracle means 'all knowing'.... SQL server means, well, nothing really.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx
x72546