From: Paglia, Melissa [mailto:mpaglia@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 5:03 PM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: SQL Loader Question on 8.1.7

Hi Kevin-

From the sample data you provided, it looks like the only way to know which
department the employee is from is that the department precedes the employee
record.  Not an easy relation.

If that is the case, I would import the data to a temp table.
CREATE TABLE temp
  (id varchar2(1),
   Generic_num  varchar2(20),
   Generic_Name  varchar2(20));

  Then write a stored procedure to do the insert statements to your real
tables.

Declare a cursor of
  Cursor cur is
    SELECT * from temp;
And some variables to store your data:

V_dept_no  varchar2(50);

Then, in your procedure body:

FOR cur_rec IN cur LOOP
    IF cur_rec.id = '1' THEN
       /*new department*/
      V_dept_no:= cur_rec.generic_num;
      INSERT INTO dept (deptno, deptname)
      VALUES (cur_rec.generic_num, cur_rec.generic_name);

    ELSIF cur_rec.id='2' THEN
       /*employee record*/
      INSERT INTO emp ( deptno, empno, empname)
      VALUES (V_dept_no,  cur_rec.generic_num, cur_rec.generic_name);
     END IF;
END LOOP;
COMMIT;

Please note:
This assumes that your first record is a department record and that the way
the data retrieved from the cursor is in the same order that it was in the
datafile used for the import.

HTH,
Melissa Paglia