RE: SOS : Recover from unused columns

  • From: "Ric Van Dyke" <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <prabhu_adam@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 20:24:07 -0500

In a 10 database you could flashback the table or the database to before
you did the change.  For the database level flashback, you have to
configure the flashback logs BEFORE you did the change.

Other then that I can't think of any thing easy, you can add the column
name back to the table, then maybe through dumping the blocks of the
table you can get the data.  Which I can't imagine would be any easier
then doing a TSPITR.  You could copy the table into a "new database" and
just have that table in it while you do the TSPITR.  Still not easy.

The column data is still there, but as far as oracle is concerned it's
unavailable.

Ric Van Dyke

Hotsos Enterprises

Cell 248-705-0624

Hotsos Symposium March 4-8, 2007.  Be there.