Re: SOS: How to recover a database with missing all online redo logs

  • From: "David Barbour" <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:18:14 -0400

As Rich suggests, you may be pretty much up the proverbial creek without the
proverbial paddle.  Somebody dropped both the origlogs AND the mirrlogs?
Probably not something you want to do in today's economy.  Anyway, you may
have to restore the whole database.  You MUST do media recovery.  From
Metalink Note 94114.1:

e) Recovery with missing online redo logs Missing online redo logs means
that somehow you have lost your redo logs before  they had a chance to
archived. This means that crash recovery cannot be  performed, so media
recovery is required instead. All datafiles will need to be restored and
rolled forwarded until the last available archived log file is applied. This
is thus an incomplete recovery, and as such, the recover
database command is necessary.

As always, when an incomplete recovery is performed, you must open the
database with resetlogs.
Note: the best way to avoid this kind of a loss, is to mirror your online
log files.

Be thankful it's a test instance.