RE: SMALLFILE TEMP / Temporary Tablespace Groups

  • From: "Chitale, Hemant Krishnarao" <Hemant.Chitale@xxxxxx>
  • To: <lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 10:55:19 +0800

Larry,

My understanding is that a user's session can use only 1 Temporary Tablespace
in a Temporary Tablespace Group. So, a normal query will use only one Temporary
Tablespace (which is dynamically allocated to it).
However, where multiple sessions are created, each session might use a
different Temporary Tablespace.  Therefore, if a query uses Parallelism (PQ),
then it may span Temporary Tablespaces.
(I wonder if Oracle will force it to span Temporary Tablespaces,  and what
happens if the number of Temporary Tablespaces is less than the PQ Degree ?)

Hemant K Chitale