SGA rules of thumb?

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle_l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 11:17:18 -0500

I'm wondering if any of you have general "rules of thumb" when it
comes to sizing the various pools and db buffer cache within the SGA.
I'm going to go back to static SGA rather than risk ASMM thrashing
about and causing another ORA-00600 at 2:30 in the morning.  I can see
where ASMM left the sizes at last, but just wondering what human
thinks of things.

This is Oracle 10.2.0.2 on RHEL3.  sga_max_size is 1456M on 32-bit,
going to be (at least) 8192M on 64-bit.  The database is a hybrid of
OLTP and warehouse.  When I say "warehouse", I mean that large
partitioned tables holding millions of records exist, and are bulk
loaded via external tables and data pump throughout the day.  Other
than the bulk loading, those tables are read-only.

Any advice would be appreciated (yes I've checked the V$*_ADVICE views as well).

--
Don Seiler
oracle blog: http://ora.seiler.us