SEMI-OT: Cloning OEL4 and Oracle 10gR2 to VMWare

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:30:55 -0600 (CST)

Hey all,

I have a small standalone OEL4 box running a 10.2.0.3 Grid Control OMS with
a 10.2.0.3 Repository DB.  I need to migrate this to Grid Control 10.2.0.5
for some plugin work.

Since I have no development box to test the migration, I thought a VM would
work.  I tried Sun's VirtualBox, but the 1.5GB RAM limit on a 32-bit VM was
too restrictive, so I'm attempting VMWare Player 3.0.0 now.

My sticking point is how to get the server from the physical box to the VM.
Normally, I'd tar/gzip the whole drive (30GB used) to a drive, boot off a
USB or CD and restore the tarball to the new box's HDD.  But VMWare Player
doesn't seem to have a bootpath option for doing this for a particular VM.

I was also thinking that I should be able to copy non-OS directories from
Production over to the VM, since I have never upgraded it's original OEL4
install (i.e. no subscription to up2date services).  But I'd also have to
pull several files from /etc /usr/local/bin and possibly others to get new
users, passwords, configs, etc. and I'm thinking that this method could be
fraught with problems of missed files.

Thoughts?  Anyone does this before?  Pointers?

TIA!
Rich