SELECT INTO new_table

  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:36:15 -0000

Oracle´s substitute for MS SQL Server temp table is a reference cursor and/or
collection types. SQL Server temp table is a memory structure, just like Oracle
collection types.
You just have to pray that your db drivers (ODBC, JDBC, .net, whatever) support
those rather exotic constructs (I mean - really support, not just they are
saying they are supporting).

BTW:

"Oracle is VERY static database, we are developing total DYNAMIC application" -
keep in mind that database is a data*BASE*! Basement is never dynamic!
Application(i.e. functionality) - yes, it is dynamic. You can use the same
building for many(not all!) purposes. This is one of the rather rare occasions
when architectural analogy is really suitable for information technology.
Do not mix Oracle support for putting code(stored procedures) into the database
with the database itself!

Brgds, Laimis