RE: SAP Reorgs

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:43:57 -0400

Richard,

        I'm going to take some exception to your statements.  Periodic reorgs
on tablespaces and tables that experience high transaction rates, specifically
inserts & deletes, is just about mandatory for any database application.  The
reason is that you'll end up with a lot of blocks on the free block list that
just won't hold another row of data for one reason or the other.  It's
regrettable that setting pctfree & pctused is such a black art that is ignored
99% of the time.  The result is that Oracle will scan the free block list, but
only so far before allocating another block to the table.  Therefore you end up
with very sparsely populated data blocks and resulting decrease in performance
on all fronts.  Also indexes that have a lot of insert, update, delete activity
against them become similarly off balanced and fragmented.  Therefore you end
up with one of two possible courses of action, 1) get more disk space & the
much more cost effective?  The trick, as has been previously posted as well, is
to determine WHEN a reorg is needed.  If you've done a fairly good job of
setting up the database you should be able to get away with a fairly infrequent
need.  For our PeopleSoft environment, we typically reorg the tables once a
year & the indexes quarterly, as required of course.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA