Re: Running utlrp creates too many Pnnn processes

  • From: "Finn Jorgensen" <finn.oracledba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sxmte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 19:42:15 -0500

Maureen,

Are you on a T5220 or T5240 or something like that by any chance with highly
threaded CPU's? These servers have many problems related to CPU_COUNT being
set high. We have a T5240 with 128 virtual CPU's and ran into many different
issues related to memory and this parameter. I have also run into your exact
problem on a T5220 with 64 virtual CPU's.

Anyway we have so many of these servers now I finally opened a SR with
Oracle and asked what the implications of lowering the CPU_COUNT parameter
was (because Oracle says NOT to touch this parameter) and the answer was
that it's fine to lower the parameter. This will solve many of your
problems. Just set it to 32 or 16 or whatever works for you.

Finn