Running utlrp creates too many Pnnn processes

  • From: Maureen English <sxmte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:32:13 -0900

We recently created some databases on Solaris 10 machines and
I'm having a problem running $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql.

To the best of my knowledge, I downloaded the correct files
for the installation on a SPARC, 64-bit machine.  The installation
completed successfully and patching to 10.2.0.3.0 also completed
successfully.  Database creation completed successfully, too.

My problem, however, is that when I run utlrp, Pnnn processes
start up uncontrollably.  If I have the processes parameter set
to 100, so many Pnnn processes start up that it reaches the
maximum number of processes allowed.  If I increase that value
to 200, the same thing happens.  I also tried increasing the
sga_max_size and sga_target values, but that also made no
difference.

Has anyone ever seen this problem before?  I've searched Metalink,
and opened a Service Request with Oracle, but have not gotten any
information back, yet.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

- Maureen