Re: Rolling upgrades and client connection

  • From: Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:04:18 +0300

If I understand you question correctly, these are the steps to follow for a rolling patch install:

1. Stop the instance in node 1 and all other relevant processes (asm if running from the same home, listener, em...)

2. Install the patch with the OPatch option -local

3. Restart services from step 1

3. Repeat for other nodes.

All that is under the assumption that the patch can be installed in a rolling fashion.

Harel Safra

hrishy wrote:

Hi

I have a question on rolling upgrades of 2 node RAC databases.

I understand while performing a rolling upgrade i need to stage the patch to a directory and just launch Opatch from that directory and Opatch would roll over the patch to the remote node and apply it there .

My question is what happens to the existing and new user connections as the database is not stopped what happens when the patch is being applied to node 1

a)Users are already connectted to node 1
b) new users connection who are attempting to connect to node 1

regards
Hrishy

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l