Rollback segments not shrinking

  • From: "Terry Sutton" <terrysutton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:01:08 -0800

We installed the 9.2.0.6 patch on a Linux server on Jan 5 (the client was at
9.2.0.4).  Since that time, the allocated space for undo segments has grown
alarmingly. The allocated space used to range ~20-40MB.  In the 24 hours after
the patch was installed, the allocated space grew to  ~2GB, and since has
ranged from 2.7GB to 4.1GB.  I'm not certain that there have been no changes in
application behavior (trying to run that down now), but I wonder if Oracle is
just not shrinking the rollback segments the way it used to.  I'm not aware of
any enormous transactions and undo_retention is 10800.
I couldn't find anything in a quick search of Metalink, but I wonder if anyone
else has seen such behavior in 9.2.0.6.

--Terry