Rman cloning from Win2008 to WIn2003

  • From: William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:44:46 -0700

Greetings,

Our test/development databases are on Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 64-bit running on
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 edition, v5.2 SP2. We have just moved our
production database, also Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 64-bit to a box running Windows
Server 2008 Enterprise, v6.0 SP1. I now want to use RMAN to clone a copy of our
production database to the test/development box. I must admit I haven't tried
it yet (when in doubt, try it out?) and my question is whether RMAN sees these
two Operating Systems as the same platform or are they different enough that I
will have to use export/import via the datapump to make this move.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center