Re: Rman backup to disk

  • From: Steven Patenaude <spatenau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RStephenson@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:15:38 -0600

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:45:22 -0500, Rick Stephenson
<RStephenson@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Environment:
>
> Oracle EE 9.2.0.3
>
> Server 1: Rman catalog, locally attached disk space
>
> Server 2: Production database
>
> Is there a way to have RMAN backup the production database on server 2 to
> the local disk on Server 1?
>
> Currently, when I backup the production database to disk, I can only get it
> to backup to local disk where the target database resides.
>
> In this case, it will backup the production database to server 2.
>
> I know one of the options would be to NFS mount the disk space from server 1
> to server 2, but curious if there is another way?

An interesting idea; basically you'd like to stream the backup data
over sqlnet.  Unfortunately it looks like you are going to have to do
the "trickery" at the OS level.  Here is what the 9.2 rman docs have
to say about "allocate channel":
To manually allocate a channel, which is a connection between RMAN and
a database instance. Each connection initiates an Oracle server
session on the target or auxiliary instance: this server session
performs the work of backing up, restoring, or recovering backup sets
and copies.

That seems to pretty clearly say that the actual writing of data to
disk (or whatever media is defined) is done by a server process, which
will be local.  I don't know all of the options available at the OS
level, but it seems to me you will need to do something like NFS or
some other way of mounting server 1's local disk on server 2.

If someone does know how to do this at the RMAN level I'd be interested as well.

Steven