Re: Rman Duplicating Error--Strange Though

While I have not used the duplicate command per se, I have "cloned" multi
TB databases with RMAN. The error you are encountering is

01124, 00000, "cannot recover data file %s - file is in use or recovery"
// *Cause:  An attempt to do media recovery found that the file was not
//          available for recovery. Either it is online and the database is
//          open in some instance, or another process is curently doing
//          media recovery on the file.
// *Action: Do not do media recovery.

I wonder if it is attemting to get a BR lock (out on a limb) for the
duplication and not able to get it since the file may perhaps be offline
or otherwise unavailable. In addition the alert log showed 1 through 12
but the newname only applied to 1 through 10. You are connected to the
target database for the priming the duplication.

As a soapbox/footnote, this is one of the reasons I am queasy about using
the duplicate command.

-Krish