Re: Risk of RULE mode in 10g+

  • From: David Mann <dmann99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:08:57 -0400

Jeff wrote:
>We are upgrading an application to the current version and also upgrading
the
>DB version from 9i to 10g. The application code has several bits of code
that
>are explicitly setting RULE mode. One in a configuration table that can be
>updated. Second, in several hints coded in SQL statements which cannot be
easily changed.

Rule still works on 10g but if you open an SR I bet Oracle Support reserves
the right to tell you to not use it. You could always come back to them with
this dirty little secret...
In 10g check the source of some of the system views like ALL_TAB_COLUMNS...
the first line of ALL_TAB_COLUMNS looks a little something like this:

1: select /*+ rule */ OWNER, TABLE_NAME,

-Dave

--
Dave Mann
www.brainio.us