Risk of RULE mode in 10g+

  • From: Jeffrey Zollars <zollarja@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:21:53 -0700

We are upgrading an application to the current version and also upgrading
the DB version from 9i to 10g. The application code has several bits of code
that are explicitly setting RULE mode. One in a configuration table that can
be updated. Second, in several hints coded in SQL statements which cannot be
easily changed.

I have provided Oracle documentation to the application vendor showing that
RULE mode is desupported in 10g+ versions. They were skeptical to say the
least.

I had thought that I'd seen stronger warnings that RULE mode could actually
generate incorrect result sets when running queries. I have searched but
could not find those warnings now. I am trying to make a case to request the
application vendor to go back and modify the code before we update to the
current version of the application on Oracle 10.2.0.4 version. I'm concerned
about the integrity of the result sets.

I am wondering if anyone knows of or can provide a link to the warning that
result sets may be incorrect in 10g+ using RULE mode.

Thanks,
Jeff

--
J. A. Zollars