RE: Restore/Duplicate takes a lot longer to restore than backup

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx" <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>, "JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:08:56 -0700

I did some testing a couple years ago and on our system (Oracle 10.2.0.2, AIX
5.3, DS4800 SAN, Netbackup 5? Disk Staging Unit - not sure what version we were
on at the time) it took about twice as long to restore a compressed backup set
compared to restoring the same data from an uncompressed backup set.  This was
still long enough for us to decide against using compression for our production
backups, but not nearly as bad as what Howard reported below.  If it's taking 6
times as long, I'd guess your system was badly CPU constrained since that's
where the work of compressing/decompressing takes place.  Did it happen to be
on a Solaris T-series machine?

We decided to only use compressed backupsets for our non-production databases
where restore speed isn't critical.

Regards,
Brandon