Re: Restore question

unless I am missing something...

if I understood correctly, your situation is this:

1. you took a full hot DB backup
2. you shut DB down
3. some datafiles were lost/erased
4. You can't start your DB due to datafiles you've lost on step 3 and
now wandering what to do next

if the above is true then

all you have to do is normally restore + recover stuff you've lost on
step 3 (no old controlfile required, shutdown is irrelevant either)

if you've lost not system/undo type of stuff then you can even offline
drop missing datafiles, open your DB and restore missing files
thereafter, I blogged about it recently
(http://afatkulin.blogspot.com/2008/12/alter-database-datafile-offline-drop.html)

--
Alex Fatkulin,