Re: Resetlogs and new incarnation

  • From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Jill.Drocea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 10:07:27 -0600

Hi,

Shows the sequence# reset to 1 and the sequence number in my archive file
name has been reset to 1. My log_archive_format is set to
xyz_sid_%S_%t_%r.arc. Below you can see that my sequence number was reset.

Xyz_sid_0000000022_1_575652460.arc
Xyz_sid_0000000001_1_578653176.arc

I expected a new instance_number without resetting the sequence number. Is my assumption correct?

The redo THREAD number (not instance number) shows which "stream" of redologs the instance was using when writing to this logfile. This doesn't even have to match the instance number.

The last number in your filename (the %r) is resetlogs SCN, if you open with resetlogs at SCN X, then all logfiles generated for this database will have resetlogs SCN X in them (as do datafile headers). With a brand new database created from scratch (using create database) you should have %r 0.

Tanel.