Re: Replication question

  • From: kathryn axelrod <kat.axe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Saad Khan <saad4u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 09:53:48 -0700

Indeed.*

There used to be a lovely table on OTN that showed what was included with
each version but I can no longer find it. Nonetheless I found this one:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/license.111/b28287/editions.htm#CJACGHEB
It's for 11g, but you should be able to come up with a similar doc for 10g
and 9i...

*Insert disclaimer here - Oracle licensing can vary at any time; when in
doubt it is always best to get the answer directly from your Oracle rep..etc
etc  :)

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Saad Khan <saad4u@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, we preferably be going for a real time refresh.
>
> We already have the license for EE for prod, so now its all about this new
> DB.  Actually we have to apply this solution in two different environments,
> one with version 10.2.0.4 while other with 9.2.0.7
>
> If Active DG is only in 11g, then ofcourse its out of question.
>
> I think users should be happy with r/o database. I'll confirm it again but
> thats my perception so far. So there is no additional cost for either
> logical data guard standby or streaming?
>

> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:07 PM, kathryn axelrod <kat.axe@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Do you plan on having your reporting db as read-only?
>> If so, I'd suggest looking into a logical Data Guard standby.
>> Configuration and maintenance would be much easier than setting up Streams.
>> However, if you need a r/w db, you will likely need to go the route of
>> Streams.
>>
>> DG and Streams are both included in the EE license, but you have to
>> individually license each db server involved in the configuration. So in
>> your case, with a prod db and a mirror db, you would have to purchase two EE
>> licenses.
>>
>> As for Active DG - 1. it costs extra (surprise!) and 2. it's not available
>> on 10g.
>> ---
>> PS - while I was typing this, William posted a reply that makes a good
>> point - do you need real time data?
>>

>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Saad Khan <saad4u@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> We have a request from the business to create a reporting database from
>>> production which is 10.2.0.4 on AIX 5.3. The reporting DB should be a
>>> mirrored copy of production, in other words the prod should be live
>>> replicated to this new reporting DB.
>>>
>>> I've some questions as I'm not aware of replication tools available for
>>> oracle:
>>>
>>> 1) What is the best tool availabe for the replication in oracle? Please
>>> remember we have to replicate entire database which is around 1T, not just
>>> few tables.
>>> 2) I read something about Oracle streaming or down stream option, but I
>>> dont see it in the oracle licenses price list. Do we have to get a separate
>>> license for that or is it a part of Enterprise edition? How much would it
>>> cost?
>>> 3) If we install this streaming option, do we have to install its agent
>>> on both source as well as target DBs? I assume it means getting two
>>> licenses. This can be a costly option if its for both.
>>> 4) As per my knowledge, Active data guard also has this option of