Re: Replicating tables with user-defined datatypes

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: strickland.mark@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:10:39 +0200

As mentioned today on another thread - you can consider "skip
procedure" feature of logical standby. I don't know about 10.1 but
it's there in 10.2 at least.

2006/6/20, Mark Strickland <strickland.mark@xxxxxxxxx>:
Oracle 10.1.0.3 RAC on Solaris 5.9.

We recently implemented a logical standby database and all is well.  The
tables that are being maintained by SQL Apply in the logical standby
database have triggers.  Of course, they don't fire in the standby.  In the
primary database, the triggers perform DML on tables in other schemas and
those tables have user-defined datatypes.  We can't maintain those tables in
the logical standby database because of the user-defined datatypes.  We need
to come up with another way of performing the same DML on the non-maintained
tables in the logical standby.  That is, when there is an insert into a
table that is maintained by SQL Apply, I would actually like the trigger to
fire so that the non-maintained tables get what they need.  Doesn't look
like I have that option.  Apparently, it would be a not insignificant effort
to convert the triggers into stored procedures which could be run on a
scheduled basis and which would capture new/changed data in the maintained
tables in order to feed the non-maintained tables.  It would be my
preference to do that. Because of the user-defined datatypes, Streams isn't
an option.  Doesn't look like Materialized Views would work because we have
raw columns.  Advanced Queuing appears to be an option but it looks
difficult to manage (if I'm going to make my head hurt, it's going to be
because of cheap vodka, not overly complex technology).  Any ideas?  Rest
assured that I am searching the FMs and Metalink and Google.

Regards,
Mark Strickland
Next Online Technologies
Seattle, WA