Re: Replicating Live Oracle DataFiles/LUNs to remote site via SAN tool?

With storage level replication, corruptions coming from Oracle/OS software
or host/HBA hardware get replicated to DR site. With Data Guard, many
corruptions in redo stream would be detected and not propagated to DR
database, thanks to checksums and sanity checks.

Also, human errors, such accidential datafile deletion, overwriting or
formatting wrong device etc get replicated without a question and ability to
roll it back.

In my mind the biggest benefit of storage level replication would be that
you can offload most of your replication to OS/Storage team, without having
to come up with different strategy for each database/application in house.

But for Oracle purposes I prefer data guard due all the extra flexibility.

--
Tanel Poder
http://blog.tanelpoder.com