From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Janine Sisk
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:10 PM
To: oracle-l L
Subject: Replacement of US7ASCII character set in 11g?

I am migrating a website from Oracle 8i to 11g, and one of the snags
I've run into is the character set.

The old database has both NLS_CHARACTERSET and NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET
set to US7ASCII.  This character set seems to have disappeared in
11g.  I tried making a database using Oracle's defaults, which are
WE8MSWIN1252 and AL16UTF16 respectively.  The data looks ok so far,
but my client is worried about problems we just haven't seen yet.

My question:  are there other choices for the two settings which would
give us a better chance of having unmangled data than the ones Oracle
chose?  If it matters, he's worried about the diacritics specifically,
though I don't think he has actually found any yet that look wrong.

Also, a couple of related questions:

In 8i, I set the NLS_DATE_FORMAT by adding a line to the init.ora
file.  In my Googling I have seen suggestions to set this by writing
out a pfile, editing that, then converting it back to an spfile,
basically doing the same thing I used to do but with the added steps
of translating from and to the binary format.  This seems clunky;
isn't there a better way?

Lastly, the client noticed that NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT has changed, not to
his liking.  Would I set this in the same way as NLS_DATE_FORMAT,
whatever that turns out to be?

Thanks for being patient with some very newbie questions!

janine