Remotely stopping an Oracle 10g instance on window 2000

  • From: "Ken Naim" <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 09:34:44 -0500

Dear List,

I have been an Oracle DBA\Developer solely on Unix platforms and have now
inherited the task of administering a new Oracle 10g instance on a Windows
2k server. We are using backup exec to do weekly cold backups and wanted to
know how to remotely stop and start the database from the backup server. I
have attempted using sc and net start/stop to remotely stop the services
without success. With sc I get

C:\>d:\sc \\oratest stop oracleservicedw
[SC] ControlService FAILED, rc = 1051

I cannot find a definition of what rc=1051 means. I have also tried to
Google the answer to no avail. I am recommending that we switch to hot
backups using rman and Netbackup for the future but that is several
approvals away. The other option I have considered is installing the oracle
client on the backup server and writing a standard startup and shutdown
script, however I am not inclined to do so as I would need to have the
password in a plain text file on the backup server.

Thanks in advance,
Ken