From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:42 PM
To: oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Remote query puzzle

On 09/08/2005 02:09:00 PM, Dennis Williams wrote:
> Thanks Jared, Mark, Mladen, Ben

> Any thoughts on the best way to induce Oracle to join tables in a
> specific order would be appreciated. This is 8.1.7, rule-based.

I neglected the "rule based" part. It was a long, long time ago. As far as I
remember, RBO will access table sorted by the rank, starting with the table
that has the highest rank, which was usually the table being accessed by the
full table scan or index range scan.
Ranks were integers, ranging from 0 (access by rowid) to 23 (full table
scan). You could not influence that by the full table scan. How about
analyzing the tables and putting hints in the view? That should force CBO
just for this one view.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com