Registering 10g ASM in 11g CRS

I support a couple of production 10gR2 (10.2.0.4.0) clustered environments.
One customer wants to upgrade to 11gR2 and I'm assuming the other will
sometime in the near future.  In order to prepare for this, I built a
virtual environment to practice the upgrade process.  I've done single
instance environments but this would be my first cluster.  I was able to get
through almost all of the install until the final configuration steps.  The
ASM configuration failed for some reason.  So now, I have 11gR2 Grid
Infrastructure and 10gR2 ASM and RDBMS.  I've tried to use OUI and asmca to
do the upgrade but OUI never gives me the option and asmca tells me that ASM
isn't registered.  srvctl in 11gR2 doesn't have the -o option to set the
ORACLE_HOME so when I re-add ASM, it gives it the grid infrastructure home
and updates my /etc/oratab thusly.

I have a backup of my baseline 10gR2 environment and plan on trying to
figure out why the configuration failed in the first place but I'd like to
figure out how to fix this first.  I'm assuming that there's a configuration
file somewhere in the 11gR2 grid infrastructure that says my ASM is 11gR2
which is why it keeps configuring it that way.  I haven't found the "manual
upgrade" document in MOS although MOS states that you can do that as the
most undesirable method.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin