Re: Red Hat 2.1, Oracle 9.2.0.5 and 25GB file block corruption on HP

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:49:28 -0700

April,

After all, EXP will drop dead on only the first corrupt block within the
high-water mark of tables;  it won't check indexes.

Some better alternatives:

1) If error messages (or the trace files accompanying the ORA-00600)
displayed actual block addresses (either FILE#/BLOCK# or DBA), then you can
use the DBMS_REPAIR.CHECK_OBJECT procedure to verify, after obtaining the
name of the segment by querying DBA_EXTENTS...

2) ALTER SYSTEM DUMP DATAFILE [ file-id | 'file-name' ] [ BLOCK block-id |
BLOCK MIN min-block-id BLOCK MAX max-block-id ] can help as well?  It
produces a trace file in the USER_DUMP_DEST, and usually if the block is
corrupted, the dump will say exactly that...

3) RMAN "backup validate" command performs a "false backup" (i.e. just reads
datafiles, doesn't write to backup media).  This is the "EXP FULL=Y
FILE=/dev/null" command done the right way...

Hope this helps...

-Tim