RE: Recover a table from cold backup-noarchivelog

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:25:41 -0400

If you have a test machine, just load up the whole database there, export
the table you need, transfer the file to the production machine, and import
the table (or use sqlplus copy being sure to set LONG long enough).

If you don't have a test machine, after you finish spanking whoever is
responsible for that situation, carefully get a new cold backup, preferably
in duplicate on independent media (how much is this database worth?) Then
load up SYSTEM, the tablespace files holding the table you need, the cold
backup online redo logs, and the cold backup control file. Start up but do
not open, alter all the other datafiles off line, open, export the table you
need, shut down, put production back in place, open up, and import the
table. IF you really did a cold backup correctly, that should work. If you
did a shutdown non-normal without a startup restrict shutdown normal before
copying the files you may have various problems and it may be simpler to
reload the entire cold backup. If you're confused about the offline stuff it
may be easier to do the full restore anyway.

Good luck. Why in the world are you rock climbing without belaying? Do you
understand that recovery within the week end points is limited absolutely as
soon as you wrap the online logs? Do you have a re-runnable source of all
the transactions between the cold backups outside of Oracle?

Good luck.

mwf