RE: Rebuild indexes

  • From: "Lex de Haan" <>
  • To: <peterdixon001@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 20:20:08 +0200

if an index block gets filled up, is is split in two -- resulting in two index
blocks with 50% freespace. (there is an exception for the rightmost block, by
the way)
in other words, you don't need deletes to create freespace in an index; inserts
will do.
now, when you rebuild the index, all leaf blocks are repopulated from scratch --
thus resulting in a smaller overall size.
kind regards,

Steve Adams Seminar