Re: Rebooted servers and then ASM does not bring up

  • From: "Edgar Chupit" <chupit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:35:13 +0100

We've recently hit bug #6163771 CANNOT MOUNT DISKGROUP DUE TO ORA-600
[KFCEMA02] on 10.2.0.2 (but it applies to >= 10.1.0.1 but < 11.2)
After reboot of one instance, asm was failing to start because one of
the diskgroups was corrupted due to this bug.

There is a note 6163771.8 that describes this bug and the only
workaround it is "There is no workaround - the diskgroup needs to be
recreated.".

Very bad thing about this issue is that, Oracle Support analyst was
not able to reveal situation when it can happen, so I assume that it
can happen anytime and to any diskgroup.

In our case we were lucky, because affected diskgroup was used only as
flash recovery area, so we didn't had to do actual restore, just moved
flash recovery area to another place and than recreated the diskgroup.

So, I think, there is billion + one case when RAC will not startup automagicaly.

--
Best regards,
 Edgar Chupit