RE: Real-time Apply in DataGuard

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx" <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 12:30:27 -0700

I just tested this and my primary database did *not* hang even when lgwr
rotated through all its logs and started writing to the same log file that lns
was still reading from.  The details are below - this seems to confirm that
real-time apply is safe to use in maximum performance mode without any danger
of halting the primary database due to delay in shipping the log files.  Please
let me know if anyone sees any errors with my test.

1) Here is the status of the log files before I started the test - you can see
that group 3 is the current group and it's on log sequence 299.  You can also
see that LNS is currently writing the current redo to the standby.

11:49:10 SYS@baandev>select * from v$log;

    GROUP#    THREAD#  SEQUENCE#      BYTES    MEMBERS ARC STATUS
FIRST_CHANGE# FIRST_TIME
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --- ----------------
------------- ---------------
         1          1        297  209715200          2 YES INACTIVE
2478725990 07-OCT-10 14:12
         2          1        298  209715200          2 YES INACTIVE
2478735507 07-OCT-10 18:47
         3          1        299  209715200          2 NO  CURRENT
2478764775 08-OCT-10 09:04
         4          1        296  209715200          2 YES INACTIVE
2478725759 07-OCT-10 14:12

11:49:10 SYS@baandev>select PROCESS, STATUS,SEQUENCE#,BLOCK# FROM
V$MANAGED_STANDBY;

PROCESS   STATUS        SEQUENCE#     BLOCK#
--------- ------------ ---------- ----------
ARCH      CLOSING             297     382977
ARCH      CLOSING             298      75777
LNS       WRITING             299      15305

2) In another session I kicked of a CTAS statement to create a 1GB table and
generate 1GB of redo.  The statement completed successfully and in the same
amount of time as it took when I ran the same statement with Data Guard
completely disabled:

11:50:19 BAAN@baandev>create table loadtest as select * from testtab;

Table created.

Elapsed: 00:04:37.80

3) Here you can see that the primary switched to sequence 300 and the arch
process kicked in and started writing sequence 299 - I'm not sure if this just
means that it started archiving it locally or if it was also transferring it to
the standby:

11:51:12 SYS@baandev>select * from v$log;

    GROUP#    THREAD#  SEQUENCE#      BYTES    MEMBERS ARC STATUS
FIRST_CHANGE# FIRST_TIME
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --- ----------------
------------- ---------------
         1          1        297  209715200          2 YES INACTIVE
2478725990 07-OCT-10 14:12
         2          1        298  209715200          2 YES INACTIVE
2478735507 07-OCT-10 18:47
         3          1        299  209715200          2 NO  ACTIVE
2478764775 08-OCT-10 09:04
         4          1        300  209715200          2 NO  CURRENT
2478770995 08-OCT-10 11:51

11:51:12 SYS@baandev>select PROCESS, STATUS,SEQUENCE#,BLOCK# FROM
V$MANAGED_STANDBY;

PROCESS   STATUS        SEQUENCE#     BLOCK#
--------- ------------ ---------- ----------
ARCH      WRITING             299     102401
ARCH      CLOSING             298      75777
LNS       WRITING             299      15368

4) Here the primary database has rotated all the way around back to log group
#3 and is now writing sequence 303 while LNS is still reading & writing
sequence 299 so it looks like at this point LNS must've switched to the
archived copy of 299:

11:53:25 SYS@baandev>select * from v$log;

    GROUP#    THREAD#  SEQUENCE#      BYTES    MEMBERS ARC STATUS
FIRST_CHANGE# FIRST_TIME
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --- ----------------
------------- ---------------
         1          1        301  209715200          2 YES ACTIVE
2478771267 08-OCT-10 11:51
         2          1        302  209715200          2 NO  ACTIVE
2478771507 08-OCT-10 11:52
         3          1        303  209715200          2 NO  CURRENT
2478771739 08-OCT-10 11:53
         4          1        300  209715200          2 YES ACTIVE
2478770995 08-OCT-10 11:51

11:53:25 SYS@baandev>select PROCESS, STATUS,SEQUENCE#,BLOCK# FROM
V$MANAGED_STANDBY;

PROCESS   STATUS        SEQUENCE#     BLOCK#
--------- ------------ ---------- ----------
ARCH      WRITING             302     186369
ARCH      WRITING             300      18433
LNS       WRITING             299      56952

This is confirmed in the alert log on the primary:

*** 2010-10-08 11:54:10.343
Logfile reuse: expected 299 found 303
Detected Online Logfile Reuse. Check arvhived log..
*** 2010-10-08 11:54:10.346 75752 kcrr.c
  ... Opening archive log /baandev/oraarc/1_299_724152171.dbf
Archive Log file opened thr 1 seq 299
  ... Reading from block 81528

Regards,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of D'Hooge Freek

However, if the lns process is even further behind and the lgwr wants to start
writing to the logfile from which the lns process is still reading, then the
database will halt until the lns process has finished reading that logfile.

From: Andrew Kerber [mailto:andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx]

I have never implemented real-time apply, but it is my understanding that there
are performance issues when there are problems with the network