Re: Real-life PL/SQL these days ...

  • From: Ian Cary <ian.cary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: raybanez@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:19:40 +0100

Another problem I've often seen is that people seem to get employed /
trained as PL/SQL developers without a decent grounding in SQL*Plus. Even
if their PL/SQL is of a reasonable standard you still often see several
procedures being written where a single SQL*Plus statement would do the job
far more efficiently.

|         |           raybanez@xxxxxxxxx|
|         |           Sent by:          |
|         |           oracle-l-bounce@fr|
|         |           eelists.org       |
|         |           15/04/2009 04:09  |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           raybanez          |

cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx                        |
  |       cc:       oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: Real-life PL/SQL these days ...

I've been a PL/SQL programmer and used to maintain or fix codes where there
are so many joined tables and subqueries.  I believe that if properly
designed we don't need to write very long codes and complex joins to get
what we want.  Some PL/SQL programmers try to impress those who will
subsequently maintain their code. They think the harder it is to follow the
better they are in writing those PL/SQL codes.