RE: Real time data trasfer between 2 DB

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Arvind.Kumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:25:29 -0400

First question I would ask is why do we have 2 databases in the first
place.  Mostly I get that requirement because "we don't want to impact
the activity of the application with reporting requirements"  In your
case the application is the bus sending data to the database for input,
not update.  And depending on your server the replication can become
more of a resource hog than the reporting.  I've got a situation like
that right now and it really is a bear.  So, get the right server with
more memory and cpu than you think you'll need for 10 years and have
just the single instance.  That also takes care of the latency issue as
well.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International