Re: Reading/Interpreting 11g Statspack reports

  • From: Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:12:04 -0700

John (and anyone else who wants to jump in),

I ran your SQL on my 8i database and got no rows, which I think you were
expecting.  In 11g it returned 41 rows - 30 owned by my application user, ten
by APEX_030200 and 1 by ORDDATA.

By combining what you have said and the stats gathering advice found here:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3538&context=SSLKUM&uid=swg21322719&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en

I have done the following (in 11g):

SQL> exec dbms_stats.delete_schema_stats('my-user');
Reran your SQL - all rows owned by my user are gone
SQL> exec dbms_stats.set_param('METHOD_OPT', 'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 1');
SQL> exec dbms_stats.set_param('ESTIMATE_PERCENT', '100');
SQL> exec dbms_stats.gather_database_stats(estimate_percent =>
dbms_stats.auto_sample_size, method_opt => 'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 1', degree =>
3, cascade => true);
shut down and restart Oracle
Reran your SQL again - no rows found

Unfortunately, one thing I forgot to do was to capture the output from explain
plan before doing this so I only have my numbers from JMeter to compare, which
measure a lot more than just database performance.  But going by those, it
doesn't seem like this helped any (it may even be slightly worse).

My question(s) - did I do this right, and is there anything else stats-related
I should be doing here?

I have not yet dived (dove?) into statspack/10046 trace analysis;  I wanted to
eliminate this as a possible issue before going there.

thanks,

janine