Reading/Interpreting 11g Statspack reports

  • From: Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 21:26:51 -0800

Any favorite resources out there for deciphering these reports?  For 8i/9i I
used the excellent breakdown in Tom Kyte's "expert one on one" book, but it is
failing me now;  too much has changed.  i tried searching the official docs but
all I could find was that Statspack has been replaced by AWR, but I'm not
licensed to use that.  Funny how all roads lead to higher license fees! :)
Google has not been fruitful either.

In case it matters, here is what I'm trying to do:  I've been using JMeter to
benchmark an old Linux server running 8i and an Amazon Linux instance running
11g.  Same application (a website written in Java) and same data.  For a
relatively lightweight page the Amazon instance is much faster, as it should
be, but for a database-intensive page it's slower.  This made me think that I
need to do some tuning/configuring.

I have run explain plan on the worst performing query and see a distressing
number of "table access full" scans, but am trying to restrain myself from
working on that, partly because it's not my code or data (I'm just the
sysadmin) and partly because it's the same on the 8i system so as ugly as that
is, it "shouldn't" be the problem.

I am open to suggestions as to better tools besides Statspack, keeping in mind
that I'm a one-woman shop and can't afford Enterprise software fees and I also
don't run Windows unless I absolutely have to. :)

thanks,

janine