Re: Read Only User

  • From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:05:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi John,

Thanks for suggesting FGAC - that hadn't occurred to me, but I guess I could
simply set up a policy function along the lines of
'sys_context('USERENV','SESSION_USER') != READONLYUSER' and add it for
statement types insert, update and delete on all tables.  And then allow a
free-for-all on executing the packages.

I guess this is similar in principle to Mark Bobak's suggestion - to allow the
PL/SQL access but block any actual DML that is attempted, only using DBMS_RLS
instead of triggers.  Stephane Faroult is trying to persuade me that the impact
using triggers won't be that great - and I'll believe him! - but I'd be
comfortable using DBMS_RLS as we had it on an other similar system and it
didn't have any noticeable performance hit.

Thanks to everyone who responded,  all much appreciated!

- Charlotte

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:45 , John Shaw <John.Shaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> sent:

The ever popular fine grain access

[... details snipped ... ]