Re: Re[2]: to_number question

  • From: Raj Jamadagni <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 04:01:36 -0700 (PDT)

--- jaromir nemec <jaromir@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Simple the DBMS will suppress any ORA-nnnnn error and will try in a loop the
> next access path.  May be next time the query will be successful!
>
> How many time this loop on different execution plans should be repeated? Why
> not limit it with OPTIMIZER_MAX_PERMUTATIONS:)

I disagree, this approach will bring out more issues with query performance.
Plus how will the
rdbms *know* what results you want to keep trying to please you? Maybe I *want*
the rdbms to error
out on the first invalid datum as it does now. So, if there are any issues I'd
like to know now
rather than tomorrow when it comes back with 15 rows and 25000 invalid rows
after traversing 80000
different paths of execution. JWOR ...  Just waste of Resources.

Cheers
Raj

=====
Best Regards